$15,000 Approved for ASBO International’s Certification
We are proud to announce that the NMASBO Board of Directors approved $15,000 to assist our members earn ASBO International’s Certified Administrator of School Finance and Operations®, the SFO® certification program for school business officials.
After a member has been awarded the SFO, NMASBO will reimburse the member for the application and testing fees. Members have until June 30, 2016, to submit their request for reimbursement; the funds will be disbursed on a first-come, first-served basis.
Why Is the SFO Certification Important?
As education and school business continue to evolve, this is the time to strengthen your career by demonstrating your professional competencies and showing your superintendent, your staff, fellow school business professionals and your community that you have the expertise to support them.
What Is the SFO Certification?
To earn your SFO, you must successfully complete a two-part exam. Part One tests your knowledge of accounting systems and functions. Part Two further evaluates your school business acumen in financial planning, budgeting, human resources, risk management, and other essential areas.
To develop the certification program, an extensive Job Task Analysis was completed to assess what a school business manager does on a daily, monthly, and annual basis. The certification tests are based on the results of the Job Task Analysis.
Comprehensive information, including the Candidate Handbook, the SFO brochure, and a sample of test questions are available at asbointl.org/Certification.
How to Apply?
Applying to the certification program is a two-step process:
- First Step: Apply to ASBO International’s SFO program by using the Pearson Vue log-in: https://i7lp.integral7.com/asbo. This is an independent, secure database for the certification program. You will continue using this database to register for tests, update personal information, and review your program history. To receive your SFO designation, you need to meet the education and experience requirements and pass both exams.
- Second Step: Upon receipt of your SFO, contact NM ASBO for reimbursement information.
What Are the Fees?
NMABSO will reimburse SFO certificants for the SFO application fee and the two testing fees.
|SFO Fees||ASBO International
|Exam Part 1: Accounting||$195||$195|
Exam Part 2: School Business Management
Annual renewal fees, exam re-scheduling, and exam re-take fees are not reimbursed.
Where Are the Testing Sites?
You may schedule the exams on the same day, on different days, 12 months a year, in secure, professional testing sites located throughout New Mexico:
|New Mexico State University||Alamogordo|
|New Horizons Computer Learning Center||Albuquerque|
|Pearson Professional Centers||Albuquerque|
|Clovis Community College||Clovis|
|San Juan College||Farmington|
|Dona Ana Community College||Las Cruces|
|Computer Career Center||Las Cruces|
|Eastern New Mexico University - Roswell||Roswell|
|Eastern New Mexico University - Ruidoso||Ruidoso|
|Santa Fe Community College||Santa Fe|
|Western New Mexico University||Silver City|
How to Prepare?
There are a number of ways to get ready for the exams.
- Prepare on your own by reviewing the information on the ASBO International Certification website, which includes sample test questions.
- Start a study group—contact NMASBO for the study prep materials.
- Attend the all-day SFO Workshop, free of charge, at ASBO International’s Annual Meeting.